Monday 30 July 2012

CREATIVE FEATURE: RACHEL BENNETT ♥

RACHEL BENNETT


society_6_iphone_case-pola

Hello how are you lovely? 
I’m splendid thank you, hope you are too! :)

Can you tell us a bit more about you, where you're from, what you like? 
I am a freelance designer from just outside of Liverpool. I love clothes, baking, photographs and gigs!

What inspired you to do become a printmaker/ artist? 
Well, all through school and college I did fine art, I always knew I wanted to do something art based but it was really doing my foundation course that made me realise I was a printer. However, after 4 years away from fine art it made me miss it, which is what inspired my final major project at university and some of the current projects I am working on to have the fine art feel!

society_6_iphone_cover-pola

Would you share with us your creative process?
I don’t feel I really have a process, I just experiment a lot with different media and drawing styles! Never throw anything away if you don’t like it, cut it up, collage it, make something new out of it!

Do you have a favourite piece you have created?
I recently produced a collection of silks that were digitally printed on pleated fabric. It was definitely my most challenging but enjoyable piece!

How long have you been a creative?
Most of my life, through secondary school I just never enjoyed any other subject as much as I did fine art and textiles, they were always something I excelled in compared to academic subjects.

Can you describe what you do in three sweet words?
Innovate, create & make.

What/ who inspires you?
I love artists such as Rauschenberg and Peter Blake but then I follow a lot of illustrators that inspire me to keep drawing and not limit myself to one way of working.

You have a very sweet blog & tweet lots of loveliness, what inspires you to have an online presence & encourages you to blog about lovely things?
The internet and social networking has such a massive impact on society. Using social media to broadcast new work etc is the most effective, immediate, and affordable way to market yourself. If someone comes across your work, they might then choose to follow you on twitter or facebook and will then get updates on what you’re doing.


society_laptop_skin-pola

Which ways do you best promote your work?
I use facebook, twitter to post links to my website, if I have any new work on there or on society6 I make sure I tweet it. I also recently exhibited my work at New Designers in London, which generated a lot of interest. I am also about to start an etsy shop so maybe I’ll get friends and family to share it online as well.

Do you have any favourite blogs/ websites?
I love plentyofcolour.com, there is always a lot of inspiring imagery on there. Otherwise I have alot of websites/blogs bookmarked that I tend to browse through.

Have you got a picture of your workspace? (Drawings accepted!)
studio_01-pola

How does your workspace help you to be creative?
It is at home but cut off from anyone else, allowing me to concentrate when I really need to but go and have a brew and a chat when I need a break. It’s very spacious which means I can get messy when working. I have a lot of books for source imagery as well as inspiration so if I get creators block I can have a flick through for ideas.

Are you involved in/ working on anything lovely right now? Do tell!
Well, I have just got some of my current designs printed as greetings cards, which will be up on Etsy soon, exciting! I’m also currently working on some prints and patterns for other products that will hopefully be up on Etsy in the near future!

What's on your most awesome playlist?
Definitely the Maccabees, Stone Roses, the Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Elbow, Florence, and maybe a cheeky little bit of 90’s r&b!

If I wanted to contact you about a collaboration/buying prints/to say hello etc, what's the best way for me to do that?
Either through the contact form on my website, email (info@rachelbennett.co.uk) or give me a tweet! :)

What are the loveliest mags you read?
I love the World of Interiors, so many interesting and innovative ideas and concepts! I have a subscription to that as well as Elle and Elle decoration, just about manage to get through them all before the next one arrives!

Do you have any nice plans for the future? (Picnics, pictures, exhibitions, afternoon teas, blogger events?)
I’m currently trying to arrange going to some craft/print fairs round September and the run up to Christmas, to sell and get my work out there as I am fairly new to the freelancing game!  

FAVOURITES 
Colour Mint Green!
Shop- Urban Outfitters, lovely clothing and home products!
Drink- I don’t think I have a favourite drink, although I do drink a lot of tea!
Cake- Banana Tea Bread
Tea- Clipper Organic Everyday Decaf Tea!
Attire- I love my majorly oversized t-shirt, long enough to be a dress and oh so comfy!
Month- October, chilly enough for layering but not normally TOO rainy.
Activity- Definitely going to gigs.
Film- All time favourite film has to be the Lord of the Rings trilogy!
Actor/Actress- Right now, Jason Segal. Such a funny guy.
Band/­singer- I’m really enjoying The Black Keys at the moment.


A massive thank you to Rachel for being kind enough to do this lovely feature ♥ You can also find Rachel's gorgeous work on society 6 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails